Saturday, February 21, 2009

Brain Science and Sigmund Freud

I've been chugging my way through Biology of Freedom: Neural Plasticity, Experience and the Unconscious for the past few days and it is blowing me away.

This book is by two French men - psychoanalyst François Ansermet and neurologist Pierre Magistretti. I've never really studied psychology or the biology of the mind and this is a master class in the latest clinical research combined with classic Freudian theory. (I am amazed also that Susan Fairfield was able to translate this dense work from French to English - I wonder if she had to understand all of the biological terminology in each language to nail it?)

Aside from the concepts of neural plasticity, which I will definitely get into in the book, two things are really surprising to me:

1 - How much we really do know about how the brain works. I've always thought of the brain as the final frontier of modern science and while that still may be true, the amount of kowledge of brain function and neurochemistry is staggering.
2 - How much psychology is still rooted in what Sigmund Freud had to say 100 years ago. I've always known him as hugely impactful on psychoanalysis but it's amazing how modern neurology is supporting his theories about the interactions between the conscious and unconscious mind.

I'm not sure I would recommend this book for everyone but I am planning to dip into the science of how our brains work and the biological basis for why we all struggle with the 7 sins.

1 comment: