Monday, May 18, 2009

Evolutionary Nature

I was pleasantly surprised to read David Sloan Wilson's response to the Templeton Foundation Conversation question: Does evolution explain human nature?

As Wilson does in his answer, I have been addressing our ability to change as the psychological equivalent of an immune systems ability to grow and adapt based on the needs of the environment.

One of the tenants of my book is that evolution has provided us with the 7 "sin traits" as survival mechanisms, but that we must change, evolve and adapt beyond these traits to survive in a modern world. We're born afflicted with these conditions which helped us survive through the ages but which may not serve us too well anymore.

It's nice to know I am not the only person who has connected the adaptability of the immune system with the potential for the brain to change and grow. (And yes, I've asked him for an interview.)

No comments:

Post a Comment