Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A writer's demo

I've been working on my nonfiction book proposal - something I've recently uncovered the need for. A first time author needs to give literary agents a sample of what he or she has in mind in the hoped that they will then shop the work around to publishers.

It's kind of like being a musician: you create a demo of your songs and then try and get a manager or lawyer to take you on and get your stuff in the hands of record labels (or at least that's how it used to be when the music industry wasn't just American Idol). Then if the labels like it they will work with you to get the material ready for release.

So I've been working on my demo, and I think it is coming along. Thankfully there are tons of resources to help (way too many, actually). Here are a couple that I've found helpful:

BookEnds - "What is a book proposal for nonfiction writers"

Michael Larsen and Elizabeth Pomada's "Make yourself irresistible"

I'm also ordered Larsen's "How to Write a Book Proposal" and "Publicize Your Book" by Jacqueline Deval. It's a lot of info but I'm sure it will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment